Sunday, 13 April 2014

FEELARET

This is Phillip Jetnikoff, a lieutenant in the army of Tsar Nicholas II.


The original image was once half of a photograph portrait of a couple, Phillip, my grandfather, and Maria, his wife, my grandmother. I say original image rather than "this photograph" as the provenance is a winding one.

Going backwards, this is a crop from a scan of a photograph that included this picture in a frame on a table. I altered the ratio of the image as the camera took the photo while it and the camera were on their own angles. The proportions in this image are from a distant memory of what I thought was the real photo but have since learned was itself a photo of a photo, taken by my father Phillip when my brother Phillip (though he referred to himself from childhood as Greg, his middle name) took the glass of the original (40 centimetres tall) and destroyed it in a chemistry experiment. The photo itself was unharmed but Dad made his copy and framed it in the principle of safe over sorry.

The original might be with one of my siblings. This blog will record my efforts to locate it. I don't want it so much as want to know what became of it and if it is safe.

This is also a kind of investigation into a family and how one member of it (see above) is found near the root of the tree and how the branches grow from it. Aiding me will be my niece, Brandy (she will be the one using the American spelling) and as many family members as I can bother with impunity as we put it together, stone by stone.

I don't know if we'll create anything of this endeavour beyond what we have but it's a cinch we'll learn a thing or two. So, here begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment